Monthly Speaker Series!
Our next presenter is TBD so check back here for updates or subscribe to our newsletter for monthly updates!!
2023 PLANNED EVENTS
Calgary Fish and Game Association (CFGA) Planned Activities – 2023
updated February 2023
Families are welcome at all the events! 😊 Contact: email@example.com for more details.
Want to help? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about joining the “Lead” person/organizer; we’d love to get some younger, new people involved!
Below is a list of possible activities for 2023; please check this page regularly as it will be continually updated as more events are planned/confirmed.
“Many hands makes light work”
January – March:
- “Guest Speaker” Events: monthly or bi-monthly Guest Presenter: at Members Meetings* – in person or online through Zoom)
- *Some Members Meetings may simply be Zoom meetings to discuss or brainstorm ideas & plans.
- Possible topics: Range development, rejuvenating a Women’s/Ladies’ League, brainstorm Conservation Stewardship & Youth opportunities.
- Horn Scoring: at AHEIA’s wildlife museum/centre in town; great viewing for kids –
- Calgary Boat & Outdoor Show (FW) – February 10-12: – visit our booth (archery on-site) and the Kids’ Trout fishing Pond.
- Last Ice Fishing Day! 10am to 4pm, March 11th @ Twin Valley Reservoir: we’ve received one last blast of winter. Let’s take it back by having a last blowout on the lake! Register now for this fun-filled day!
- Shed Hunting Fun Competition: March 1 to December 31 – Wander the woods and bring home some antlers to be “scored” and win some prizes – Kids and open competitions. The competition is cash entry and the winners will take 50% of the total pot as the award. The scoring of the sheds will be done at the annual horn scoring event held in January.
- Wild Game Dinner (April 29, Triwood Community Center: welcome cocktail party & appetizers, amazing wild game dishes, refreshments, auctions, raffles and awards presentations. Tickets are now on sale! Click here to purchase yours before they sell out!
- Pheasant Pens: work bees & BBQ, spring get-together; come meet other members and join this ‘legacy’ conservation programme.
- Alford Lake Family Camp & Jamboree – June 9-11: a great weekend of family fun! Camping (tents or trailers) or cabins, archery, shooting (.22, centerfire & shotgun), fishing, campfires, BBQ
- Rosebud ‘Spring Shoot’ and ‘Turkey Shoots’*: targets & silhouettes, hunting rifle & .22 at the world class ‘Rosebud Silhouette & Benchrest Club’ west of Calgary. *Date: TBD late June?
- McKinnon Flats Spring Cleanup and Barbeque: date TBD: CFGA has developed a McKinnon Flats Stewardship Partnership agreement with Alberta Environment and Parks (‘AEP’) to assist with site improvements and general maintenance of this historic recreational property on the Bow River. The spring event will consist of a clean-up of the property, some maintenance followed by a BBQ, archery booth and a presentation on the history of the property.
- Family Group Camp – August 11-13: weekend of bear awareness, Fish & Wildlife officer ‘talk’, geocaching, ‘soft-arrow’ target shooting (at balloons floating on air), hike, BBQ, campfire & hunting/wildlife/camping stories & singsong.
- “Meet the Pheasants”: meet other families in town at the Pheasant Pens, BBQ, campfire & stories.
- Hunter “Sight-in” Day – date TBD, likely early October: (for hunting season) & ‘Turkey Shoots’ – targets & silhouettes, hunting rifle & .22 at the world class ‘Rosebud Silhouette & Benchrest Club’ west of Calgary.
- Bird Hunting Tune-up: (AHEIA Dewinton range: fun Trapshoot & Skeetshoot (needs confirmation.)
- Pheasant Collection & Release Day – October – date TBD: join us to round up the pheasants, crate them up and take them to various sites to be released into the wild.
- McKinnon Flats Fall Cleanup and Barbeque: date TBD
- Dog Training clinic: TBD.
- Hunting Techniques & Safety Clinic: – rifle, bow, shotgun tips & techniques and safety.
- Annual General Meeting: early December, date TBD