Note: some of these activities require ‘relaxation’ of CV-19 protocols.
Families are welcome at almost all the events! (FW means Families Welcome)
Contact: email@example.com for more details.
- “Guest Speaker” Events: monthly or bi-monthly Guest Presenter: at Members Meetings* (and/or online and through Facebook/Zoom)
- *Some Members Meetings may simply be Zoom meetings to discuss or brainstorm ideas & plans.
- Possible topics: rejuvenating a Women’s/Ladies’ League, brainstorm Conservation Stewardship opportunities, Becoming An Outdoor Woman (existing AFGA program), CWD review: Dr Margo
- Horn Scoring (FW): at AHEIA’s wildlife museum/centre in town; great viewing for kids – date TBD (postponed due to covid).
- CANCELLED DUE TO COVID RESTRICTIONS Ice-fishing day (FW): (free fishing on Family Day FEBRUARY 15th) Come and enjoy a family fun day on the ice (no license required). Learn how to catch fish through the ice or be a helper. All ages welcome.
- Calgary Boat & Outdoor Show (FW): stay tuned for more information – on our booth (archery on-site) and the Kids’ Trout fishing Pond.
- Wild Game Dinner (April 24 – may be re-scheduled due to CV-19)): amazing wild game dishes, refreshments, auctions, raffles and awards presentations.
- Pheasant Pens (FW): work bee & BBQ, spring get-together; come meet other members and join this ‘legacy’ conservation programme.
- “Kids Can Fish” – Bow Habitat Station (FW): learn the basics of angling through hands-on activities in the classroom* before taking your new knowledge outside to fish at the Trout Pond.
*Best practices, casting, fish identification, reading the regulations. (Maximum of 20 participants, including adults and youth, per session.)Who: Ages 6 and up (youth must be accompanied by paid adult).
- Rosebud ‘Spring Shoot’ and ‘Turkey Shoots’ (FW): targets & silhouettes, hunting rifle & .22 at the world class ‘Rosebud Silhouette & Benchrest Club’ west of Calgary. BBQ lunch available, prizes
- McKinnon Flats Spring Cleanup and Barbeque (FW): May 15-16 (or June 18-19) CFGA has developed a McKinnon Flats Stewardship Partnership agreement with Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) to assist with site improvements and general maintenance of this historic recreational property on the Bow River. A new road has been completed, an expanded parking lot and park tables and benches installation are planned for 2021. The spring event will consist of a clean-up of the property, some maintenance followed by a BBQ and a presentation on the history of the property.
- CFGA/AHEIA Gun Safety Event (FW – families specifically invited!): picnic/BBQ and trap/skeet shooting & ‘Turkey Shoot’ at AHEIA’s amazing facility near Dewinton; kids can shoot too 😊 (.410’s or 20 ga. for kids)
- Family Group Camp (FW of course!): & activities: weekend of bear awareness, Fish & Wildlife officer ‘talk’, geocaching, ‘soft-arrow’ target shooting (at balloons floating on air), hike, BBQ, campfire & hunting/wildlife/camping stories & singsong.
- “Meet the Pheasants” (FW): meet other families in town at the Pheasant Pens, BBQ, campfire & stories.
- Sandy Beach Day (FW): a day at the ‘beach’ (Elbow River) for BBQ & water fun.
- Rosebud “Sight-in” Day (FW): (for hunting season) & ‘Turkey Shoots’ – targets & silhouettes, hunting rifle & .22 at the world class ‘Rosebud Silhouette & Benchrest Club’ west of Calgary. BBQ lunch available, prizes.
- Bird Hunting Tune-up: (AHEIA Dewinton range: fun Trapshoot & Skeetshoot.
- ALFORD Lake – Fall Family Group Camp: at AHEIA’s wonderful facility and instructors. Activities will be tailored to skill levels of the participants, all ages welcome.
BASIC CAMP PROGRAM:
- Firearm Safety Talk
- Compass Course
- Survival Kit Review
- Survival Talk
- Survival Walk
- Wildlife Identification
- Canoeing (flat water)
- Fishing Education
McKinnon Flats Fall Cleanup and Barbeque: September 18-19 (or Sept 25-26) CFGA has developed a McKinnon Flats Stewardship Partnership agreement with ‘AEP’. The fall event will consist of a clean-up of the property, and possibly a work party to install park benches followed by a BBQ and a presentation on future site development.
- Dog Training clinic: TBD.
- Hunting Techniques & Safety Clinic: – rifle, bow, shotgun.
- Annual General Meeting: December, date TBD
Want to help? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about joining the “Lead” person/organizer; we’d love to get some younger, new people involved!