The need for fish and game preservation was clearly evident during the early years of Calgary's history. Thankfully, due to the effort of prominent Calgarians such as Robert A. Darker the Calgary Fish and Game Association (CFGA) was established in 1908 with the goal to aid in the conservation of our wildlife resources and mitigate issues affecting our environment.
Today, joint efforts by other fish and game associations in Alberta have helped to shape the landscape of our hunting community through the Alberta Fish and Game Association which was established to act as a common voice in 1928.
Since its inception, Calgary Fish and Game Association volunteers have worked relentlessly to successfully manage the abundance of natural resources available in our area. Perhaps one of the most widely recognized undertakings of the CFGA has been its introduction of Hungarian Partridge in 1908 and the Ring Neck Pheasant in 1909 into Alberta. Since, the association has helped to maintain the pheasant population in Alberta through our annual raise and release program.